asteroids and dinosaurs

Tonight I was watching a science show on TV (@ discovery.ca) and
an astronomer was talking about an asteroid that is predicted to
hit the earth sometimes between the next 100,000 and 1 billion
years.  He mentioned that it is much larger than the meteorite that
is believed to have played a part in dinosaur extinction.

He also mentioned something that I have never read anywhere or heard
anybody say.  He stated that large numbers of dinosaurs were killed in
the earthquakes that followed the impact and implied that this played
a large part in the extinction of the dinosaurs.  This scenario sounds
rather unlikely to me. Has anybody on the list heard or read of such a
proposal, and if so, what are the references?

Thanks in advance
Lora Nelson