ps. on nomenclature

I forgot to add:
To accomplish this goal of better all-round biogeological descriptions,
probably needs international cross-disciplinary commissions, like that
started a few years ago for the Global Change Program.  The problem seems
to be that the information lies in somewhat academically separated fields
that sometimes just don't talk well to each other.  For example, the
oil industry and coal industry likely has lots of information on
plant communities for some of the times in which we are interested,
whereas the regional geologists, oil companies, and mining companies
probably have the information on land surfaces/geomorphology/paleogeography/
paleotopography etc.  I suspect that the biological researchers are
sitting on some info on other groups, like ampbibians, and mammals, while
the paleontologists obviously have lots of info on verts and inverts.
The palynologists have contributions, as do the entymologists, and
even the astronomical types.  And I am sure that if we thought hard
we could also pull in the chemists, and physicists to some of these
discussions.   Like many fields, I suspect that it is time that
the dinosaur research community should open discussions with other
academic fields to answer some fundamental questions.

Bonnie A. Blackwell,                            bonn@qcvaxa.acc.qc.edu
Dept of Geology,                                off: (718) 997-3332
Queens College, City University of New York,    fax: (718) 997-3349
Dept of Earth \& Environmental Sciences,        fax: (718) 997-3513
The Graduate Center, CUNY,                      messages: (718) 997-3300
Flushing, NY 11367-1597