Re:Frog DNA

On 05-Aug-96, I was cheered by a missive sent by Betty Cunningham :

>chickens don't have the plot complication of turning females into
>males if they have no males to breed with, and the book specifically
>mentions an African frog with that characteristic, whose genes were
>used in splicing, so that there is an excuse for the burgeoning

Which reminds me of a question. Since birds are wired "backwards" (males are
xx, females are xy) and it seems to me that gender genotypes have to be the
most conservativly held mutations; how do other families determine gender?
Are reptiles closer to birds on this, are fish?

Royan

--
  (`}       Royan Webb  bandr@globaldialog.com     {')