Re: ALULAS, BATS, PTEROSAURS

Ronald I. Orenstein says:

> I still hold to the view that the considerably greater diversity seen in
> birds than in bats (or pterosaurs) is primarily (though not entirely) due to
> the fact that birds have decoupled their wing mechanism from the hind limb,
> allowing a far greater range of adaptations for walking, wading, swimming,
> climbing etc.

Not in contradiction to the above statement, but there are those who
said that pterosaurs did the same.  Some restorations of certain
pterosaurs show their hindlimbs having no part at all in the wing
apparatus.

This is way off on a tangent, but there's a book called _After Man_
which shows what life may look like millions of years in the
future.  Among the weird and wonderful hypothetical life forms are a
group of terrestrial, island-living bats which have lost the power of
flight, and use their forelimbs for locomotion and their hindlimbs
for siezing prey.  The illustrations are unreal!!!!

Tim