Re: Troodon feeding habits

[For those of you who haven't noticed, I've been editing in
 attributions when people don't explicitly say whom they're quoting.
 However, in this case I'm making an exception and leaving it out so
 that I can protect the innocent.  Personally I liked that person's
 interpretation better than what I suspect is the correct one.  (Guess
 what my uncle says about me being a romantic is true :-) Keep
 reading, you'll see what I mean. -- MR ]

>The caption for the National Geographic figure (July, 1996, p. 83) refers
>to a pack of "deadly sand bears" off in the distance.  I can't tell what
>these "sand bears" are supposed to be, and there is no reference to them
>in the text or in other illustrations.  The perspective is difficult, but
>various visual clues suggest that the "sand bears" are about the size of
>a cow.  My contention is that animals of that size would indeed be
>potentially deadly to Troodon.  Does anyone know what these "sand bears"
>are supposed to be?

Just a minor correction.  The caption for that illustration is "A pack of
troodontids freezes as a deadly wall of sand _bears_ down on a crowded
oasis. ..."  The word "bear" here is a verb indicating the advancing wall of
sand about to smother the oasis.

Andrew Howey
ajhowey@ix.netcom.com