Re: Crater may reveal how dinosaurs became extinct

Art Sippo wrote:

 > There is an article in the current issue of Discover Magazine on the
 > Tunguska Explosion in Siberia in 1908.  The article sites evidence
 > that there was indeed a meteor was responsible for the event but
 > that it exploded in mid air several miles above the ground (>10
 > Megatons). ...

Actually, I rather thought this was more of a comet rather than a
meteor.

 >  How about a shower of Tunguska-like exploding meteors similar to
 > the Shoemaker-Levy event on Jupiter?

And Shoemaker-Levy *certainly* was a comet.

 > Or one big one?  In light of the Tunguska findings there
 > might not even BE a crater (or craters) to mark the event.  Maybe all it left
 > was some suspicious dust in the KT boundary layer like they have in Siberia.

Actually, I doubt that an aerial explosion of a comet would have anywhere
near the ecological effect of a ground/water impact of a meteorite.

For one thing, the power of the Shoemaker-Levy impacts was due at least
in part to the immense gravity of Jupiter. The equivalent strikes on
Earth would be much less energetic.

The peace of God be with you.