Re: MARTIAN PALEOBIOLOGISTS - NYET!

Something I should have mentioned before...

The fossils(?) found in the Martian material are not direct
remains of bacteria, but trace fossils.  They are spheroids that
are suspected to be the result of biologic activity.  So the
relationship between the size of the trace fossils and the
size of the bacteria is not direct.

Similar bacterial traces have been reported from Precambrian
terrestrial rocks, but their authenticity is in dispute.  Since
all that we're seeing is a chemical reaction, many micro-paleo
folks have suggested a possible non-organic origin, though none
have yet demonstrated how such a non-biologic reaction would
give the same results.  (I would consider the biologic origins
of the Martian material to be even more in doubt.)

Mark

    __     Mark Sumner
   /  \    http://www.sff.net/people/sumner
  /    \   DEVIL'S TOWER Preview at http://www.inlink.com/~range