New Refs

[NOTE FROM YOUR TEMPORARY MONITOR: According to the instructions I have
received, onceI redirect a message to the list it should lose two paragraphs
for my eyes only that appear at the top of the message.  This worked fine
for one or two messages but I am now getting messages back from the list
with the paragraphs still there.  If this is happening to anyone else on the
list could you notify me (especially if you know what to do about it!)  -
Thanks, Ron Orensetin]

Couple of new refs I don't think have been posted yet:

1
UI  - UY950
AU  - Motani R
AU  - You H
AU  - McGowan C
TI  - Eel-like swimming in the earliest ichthyosaurs.
LA  - English
RF  - Article
AD  - Motani R, Univ Toronto, Dept Zool, 25 Harbord St, Toronto,
      ON M5S 1A1, CANADA
AB  - ICHTHYOSAURS are extinct marine reptiles, probably
      belonging to the Diapsida(1), that ranged from the Early
      Triassic to Late Cretaceous(2,3). Post-Triassic
      ichthyosaurs achieved the highest level of aquatic
      adaptation among reptiles(4), with a streamlined body,
      lunate tail and a dorsal fin, features exemplified today
      by thunniform (tuna-like) fishes. However, little is known
      of how such a body plan evolved from a terrestrial
      diapsid. Here we report the most complete specimen of the
      oldest known ichthyosaur, Chensaurus, representing a
      transition between the two body plans. The specimen, which
      has a partial skin impression, has a small caudal fin, a
      long and narrow body, and a high presacral vertebral
      count. These features all suggest an anguilliform swimming
      mode. Later ichthyosaurs retained the high vertebral
      count, but overcame the high swimming costs of this
      plesiomorphy, achieving a rigid tunniform bauplan by
      evolving discoidal vertebrae, and a deep fusiform body.
      Chensaurus therefore seems to be an evolutionary
      intermediate between the shorter-bodied terrestrial stock
      from which the group evolved, and advanced thunniform
      ichthyosaurs.
SO  - Nature 1996 JUL 25;382(6589):347-348

2
UI  - UY983
AU  - Knoll AH
AU  - Bambach RK
AU  - Canfield DE
AU  - Grotzinger JP
TI  - Comparative earth history and Late Permian mass
      extinction.
LA  - English
RF  - Article
AD  - Knoll AH, Harvard Univ, Bot Museum, Cambridge,MA 02138 USA
AB  - The repeated association during the late Neoproterozoic
      Era of large carbon-isotopic excursions, continental
      glaciation, and stratigraphically anomalous carbonate
      precipitation provides a framework for interpreting the
      reprise of these conditions on the Late Permian Earth. A
      paleoceanographic model that was developed to explain
      these stratigraphically linked phenomena suggests that the
      overturn of anoxic deep oceans during the Late Permian
      introduced high concentrations of carbon dioxide into
      surficial environments. The predicted physiological and
      climatic consequences for marine and terrestrial organisms
      are in good accord with the observed timing and
      selectivity of Late Permian mass extinction.
SO  - Science 1996 JUL 26;273(5274):452-457

Graeme Worth
The Dinosaur Encyclopaedia