Re: Different twist of BCF

At 18:00 30/11/96 -0500, Tracy Ford wrote:

>It is my gut feeling (MGF, is there such an abbreviation? If not, I
>just made it up, kwool, you all can use it) that it is the
>Enantiornithes that gave rise to 'Dino birds', i.e. Dromaeosauridae,
>Oviraptoridae etc and not the Ornithurae. And it is the Enantiornithes
>that are George's BCF and the theropods. The Ornithurae are a branch
>from the Enantiornithes along with the 'Dino birds'.

I doubt that even George Olshevsky would go along with that one. While it
is true that the Enantiornithines became extinct at the K-T boundary, they
were not the earliest line of Mesozoic birds. In addition, they are not the
only group of Mesozoic birds to disappear prior to or at the K-T . Unless I
am much mistaken, birds like Sinornis or even Hesperornis are not
considered to be enantiornithine. Thus it is incorrect to assume that the
enantiornithine line is so similar to the basic stock from which birds
evolved that it could be regarded as an ancestor to the so-called
dino-birds - assuming that these creatures evolved from birds at all.

1825 Shady Creek Court