Re: MAMMALS AS DINOSAUR ANALOGUES

Brian Franczak writes;

>(to serve as an area for muscle attachment) and have nothing to do with
>humps. Pigs do not really display a noticeable *hump*, and while the
>dromedary does, the hump is located midway down the back, over much shorter
>spines, and is basically just a lump of fatty tissue, unsupported by
>vertebrae. None of this applies to dinosaurs.

Au contraire mon ami.

I'll back off of the camel analogy.  I thought about it over the holiday,
 and realized that the fatty portion of a camel is not supported by
 elongated spines.

As far as pigs are concerned, modern farm-style pigs have average sized
 neural spines, but consider wild members of the group.  The warthog (as
 well as it's larger/extinct cousins) has rather long neural spines, which
 serve as anchors for the neck muscles (useful for rooting for food).  Bison
 have long neural spines to help support the heavy head.  It is possible
 that animals evolve long neural spines for the same reason ceratopians
 elongated the frill, more muscle attachment gives a stronger structure
 (see, it does relate to dinos). ;^)

Rob Meyerson
Orphan Vertebrate Paleontologist

***