Velociraptor furcula

        What's got me puzzled right now is why Velociraptor doesn't have a
furcula. Oviraptor has one, T. rex has one, even Allosaurus has one, but
apparently the articulated "fighting" specimen doesn't. Is it really
absent? I did read something in the photo caption about it being a
"juvenile" specimen, so perhaps it wasn't fully ossified, but it looked
pretty well grown to me. Whatever the case, its recent ancestors must
have had one, or else we'd have to postulate at least three independent
evolutions of the thing, and it's vastly easier to assume that it was at
least present at the allosaur-coelurosaur node or earlier.

        nick L.