Re: Different twist of BCF

Tracy Ford wrote:

> It is my gut feeling (MGF, is there such an abbreviation? If not, I
> just made it up, kwool, you all can use it) that it is the
> Enantiornithes that gave rise to 'Dino birds', i.e. Dromaeosauridae,
> Oviraptoridae etc and not the Ornithurae. And it is the Enantiornithes
> that are George's BCF and the theropods. The Ornithurae are a branch
> from the Enantiornithes along with the 'Dino birds'.

I'm prepared to take the idea seriously.  There at least two groups of
flightless avians known fromc the Cretaceous - the aquatic
hesperornithiforms and cursorial patagopterygids.  Both groups
presumably evolved from volant ornithurines.  There's also
_Mononykus_, which Luis Chiappe, Perle Altangarel and others believe
evolved from flying birds.

So maybe, just maybe, some of the coelurosaur groups of the
Cretaceous evolved from very primitive birds that came to earth - and
stayed there.  Oviraptorids, dromaeosaurids, and even the
tyrannosaurids may be the flightless descendents of some
archaeopterygid-like avian (probably not an enantiornithine) of the
Late Jurassic.

Tim Williams

P.S. Apologies for the awful raptor joke.
:->