Re: komodos

Hans Havermann <haha@astral.magic.ca> writes:

>Stephen Carville writes:
>
>> I didn't know there was much doubt about the saurians hunting >>
>> cooperatively.  Once you get past the ideas there were
>> "cold-blooded," it makes perfect sense.  Why would evolution equip
>> mammals with a host of sucessful = behaviors but give the saurians
>> who filled equivalent niches completely different behaviors?
>
>And just what *is* the status of the bloodedness of large lizards
>like komodos? Dare we call them warm-blooded? If not, have we
>verbalized differences of thermoregulation between komodos and
>smaller reptiles? = How are those differences applicable to our
>understanding of dinosaurs?

Beats me.  Off the top of my head I'd say komodos were prety much like
other reptiles.  Their cooperative behavior (if true) may be an
indication that cooperation doesn't require mammaliam brainpower but
they are hardly a model for the behavior of large saurians --
Allosaurus was mentioned in the original post. Birds and social
insects pretty much demonstrate that big
brains aren't necessay for cooperation anyway.

There is little reason to doubt that saurians hunted cooperativly.
They were beleived for years to be cold-blooded like modern reptiles,
so there was an image of them as sluggish creatures with little
endurance.  Naturally such animals wouldn't behave like mammals.  I
suspect there was some specisism mixed up in there too :-)

My message seems to have touched a sore spot.  Oh, well.
--
Stephen Carville -- pagan@delphi.com
                    http://people.delphi.com/pagan/