scent marking

During the bit in a recent Paleoworld about the intraspecific combat of
the triceratops(es), scent marking was mentioned as one of the
intimidation factors of the combat. I can buy the colorful frill, the
head waggling and bobbing, and various other display factors that ward
off rivals without incurring risk of injury. But scent marking? To my
knowledge only mammals scent mark. Where did this come from?
Blaise Considine
bpc.apa@email.apa.org