Re: scent marking

Blaise Considine asks:

>During the bit in a recent Paleoworld about the intraspecific combat of
>the triceratops(es), scent marking was mentioned as one of the
>intimidation factors of the combat. I can buy the colorful frill, the
>head waggling and bobbing, and various other display factors that ward
>off rivals without incurring risk of injury. But scent marking? To my
>knowledge only mammals scent mark. Where did this come from?
>Blaise Considine
>bpc.apa@email.apa.org

Well, I am not certain of scent marking, but I do know that reptiles are
far more sensitive to smells of their cage than most people appreciate.  I
presume something similar could be applied to their nest area or burrow.  I
also note what reptile afficionados call "musking" when they are stressed
by being placed new surroundings.   Whether this is marking a territory or
not I really could not say.  But, it might prove of interest to the
group.

[ I'd also wonder about "scent" trails left by the waxy exudates from
  the femoral pores of many male lizards... -- MR ]

Rich

]

Richard Hengst
Biol. Sciences