DINOSAUR JOURNAL LIST

LIST OF KNOWN MAJOR DINOSAUR-RELATED MAGAZINES
Notes: I'm trying to have a standardized format, but not fixated on it.
+No effort is made to separate "magazines" and "professional journals"
into separate lists; the differences between them are obvious to all.
+I don't plan on listing every single mag that ever had a dino article
but will concentrate on "major journals" with "frequent" dino material.
I'll be guided by those on this list and what they Email me to add to it.
(Don't post your input to the list; I might not be keeping up that week.)
Please don't go dig up every obscure journal you can think of
but please DO let me know of any journals that YOU consider a primary
source of new and useful information on dinosaurs and archosaurs.
I need complete data (what you see above). Telling me that I really need
to list this or that magazine without telling me its address, subscription
price, and other information isn't really much help. If I knew all of that
the magazine or journal would already be on the list.
+While it's a tough call, I do not plan to list publications which are not
available in English. If someone else wants to do that list, go ahead.
+Remember that this list is primarily of interest to
Dino-fans and amateurs; you PhDs and grad students in Paleontology
already have all of these journals and don't need the list.
+The plan is to accept your input and send a revised copy of this file
to the Dinosaur list about the first day of each month.
AMERICAN MUSEUM NOVITATES
No data available; if you have it, please send to steve.cole@genie.com
ARCHOSAURIAN ARCHIVE
$20, quarterly, (8-1/2x11), photos and drawings
Amateur dinosaur magazine, mostly about models and sculpture.
Occasional "popular" article approaches hard science.
PH3, 33 King Street, Weston Ontario M9N 3R7 Canada
ARCHOSAURIAN ARTICULATIONS
$35; 12 (8 1/2 X 11) pages. (This is the announced new schedule.)
Newsletter by George Olshevsky; schedule irregular although plans
have been announced to restart it on a regular schedule during 1996,
but he seems involved in another project (data files on species).
PO Box 543 Central Park Station Buffalo, NY 14215-0543.
BONES
$8; quarterly; (8-1/2x11), 16 pages, photos and drawings
News of findings in the local area, Wyoming Dinosaur Center
Big Horn Basin Geological Research & Education Foundation
Box 71, Thermopolis WY 82443
CANADIAN JOURNAL OF EARTH SCIENCES
No data available; if you have data, please send to steve.cole@genie.com
DINOSAUR DISCOVERIES
$25; Bi-monthly, (8-1/2 x 11), 16 pages, photos & drawings.
Compilation of new dinosaur info from published & unpublished sources.
"Hard science that's not hard to read"
Tiger Publications, P O Box 8759, Amarillo TX 79114 806-655-2009
Email: Tiger$@genie.com or Steve.Cole@genie.com
Looking for writers. Second issue mailed 10 Dec 96.
DINOSAUR REPORT
$25; Quarterly, (8-1/2 x 11), 8 or 12 or 16 pages, photos & drawings
Mostly news about the Dinosaur Society but some dino articles each time.
Price includes basic membership in Dinosaur Society. (800) 346-6366
Dinosaur Society, 200 Carleton Ave, East Islip, NY 11730
DINOSAURUS: Kids' dinosaur magazine.
No data available; if you have data, please send to steve.cole@genie.com
This magazine is sporadically produced and subscribers routinely complain
of lost and missing issues and of only a fraction of the scheduled issues
for a given year actually being published.
Glossy, lots of photos and flashy graphics.
Semi-hard science magazine with infrequent dinosaur articles.
Kalmbach Publishing, P O Box 1612, Waukesha, WI, 53187.
1-800-533-6644, or 414-796-8776.
Or e-mail customerservice@kalmbach.com
FOSSIL NEWS: Journal of Amateur Paleontology
$28; monthly; (8-1/2 x 11), 24 pages, high-class desktop publishing,
nice photos and artwork; many articles on all fossils but largely dinos.
Little hard science, but lots of interesting stuff. Articles take a moment to
emphasize the contributions of amateurs in finding and preserving fossils.
6803 Whitman St Northwest; Dash Point, WA 98422
JOURNAL OF PALEONTOLOGY
$99 (non-member). Bi-monthly. ?? Pages. Professional journal.
Paleontological Society, Box 1897, Lawrence, KS, 66044. (913) 843-1221.
JOURNAL OF VERTEBRATE PALEONTOLOGY
$85 Quarterly,  (8 1/2 X 11), ?? Pages, includes photos & drawings.
Frequently includes dinosaur articles but covers all fossil vertebrates.
$80 per year, including membership in Society of Vertebrate Paleontology.
(Students pay $45 per year.) Back issues are $37.50 for a year/volume.
Secretary:  John J Flynn, Dept of Geology, Field Museum of Natural
History, Roosevelt Road at Lakeshore drive, Chicago, Illinois, 60605-2496
Professional journal.
Society of Vertebrate Paleontology, W. 436 Nebraska Hall, Univ. of
Nebraska, Lincoln, NE, 68588-0542.  (402) 472-8949.
NATURAL HISTORY
$30. Monthly. 76 (8.5 x 11) pages. 1-800-234-5252
Published by the American Museum of Natural History,
Central Park West at 79th Street, New York, New York 10024.
Natural History, PO Box 5000, Harlan, IA, 51537-5000.
NATURE: The International Weekly Journal of Science.  $395 US.
Nature, Box 1733, Riverton, NJ, 08077-7333. Telephone (800) 524-0384.
NATURE AUSTRALIA
The Australian Museum (6 College St, Sydney, NSW 2000 Australia)
Editor-Jennifer Saunders. A truly beautiful magazine. Some dino articles.
Sender: "Glen Moore" <Glen_Moore@uow.edu.au>
OMNI: Popular pseudo-science magazine. No longer published.
PALAOIS
No data available; if you have data, please send to steve.cole@genie.com
PALEOBIOLOGY
No data available; if you have data, please send to steve.cole@genie.com
PREHISTORIC TIMES
$24, bi-monthly (6); about 30-40 (8 1/2 X 11) pages (size varies)
Desktop published newsletter about dinosaurs and other ancient animals.
Concentrates on models, toys, and art; occasional soft-science articles.
ROCKS & MINERALS
$38; Six per year, (8-1/2 x 11),80 pages, occasional dino articles.
$66 institutions; glossy professional magazine, photos, color.
Heldref Publications, 1319 Eighteenth St NY, Washington DC 20036
SCIENCE: $102 US ($55 US for students).  Almost weekly (51
issues/year) journal published by The American Association for the
Advancement of Science.  Has dinosaur-related articles about once a
month.  American Association for the Advancement of Science, P.O. Box
1810, Danbury, CT 06813-9763
AAAS membership services 1-800-731-4939 or 1-202-326-6417 or
     membership@aaas.org       see also http://www.aaas.org
SCIENCE NEWS: weekly newsletter, professional, great color photos.
Covers all of science; space for dinosaurs is rare.
No data available; if you have data, please send to steve.cole@genie.com
ZINJ (Magazine for Kids)
$8.00 for 4 issues. Editor: Kevin Jones.
Published by Zinj Education Project, Utah State Historical Society,
300 Rio Grande, Sale Lake City, Utah 84101  Fax 801-533-3503
Upbeat, colorful magazine for 9-14 year olds that apeals to almost everyone.
Articles written by scientists and kids about anything "old", mostly
paleontology
(including dinosaurs) and archaeology.
Plenty of hands-on activities makes it a valuable teachers' aid.