Re: New Velociraptorine

Sam Girouard wrote:

>         Third, the wear experienced by normal locomotion would have been
> miniscule compared to repeated contact with bone while dispatching prey

        This is a dubious assertion. The amount of time in contact
with the ground would dwarf that of time contacting bone (presumably
less frequently than once a day--every few days?). Depending on the
target area, contact with bone might be unlikely. Even a small gravel
claw's hardness could be expected to be comparable to that of the
(smooth!) bone and not such a problem even when it is contacted.

>         Fourth, I do not know of any articulated theropod feet that
> show any evidence of a retracted claw.

        This is an interesting point. Given the relative muscle
tones of the retracting and attacking muscles, I think you should
expect to see the claw pulled back much as necks get pulled back.

>         ... Does the Protoceratops have any claw-slashed ribs?

        I recall dimly that there was some evidence of feet getting
tangled up in prey, but can't find it at the moment.

Russ Andersson