Amargasaurus (was Re: Quaesitosaurus and Nemegtosaurus)

At 12:15 PM 12/12/96 -0500, Nick Longrich wrote:

>> I wonder then if _Antarctosaurus_, which has also been
>> reconstructed with a very diplodocoid-like skull, might be a
>> titanosauroid after all.
>
>       Amargasaurus, however, is generally reconstructed as
>diplodocid, so that would argue that they were in S. America.

The possibility that Antarctosaurus (a late Late Cretaceous form) was a
titanosauroid does not change the observations that Amargasaurus (an early
Early Cretaceous form) was a dicraeosaurid diplodocoid.  All recent studies
have placed Amargasaurus quite close to Dicraeosaurus.

>Then again, if Opisthocoelicaudia has cleft neural spines and
>peglike teeth...

Peglike teeth are found in titanosauroids and in diplodocoids.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661

        --O.C. Marsh, Vice Presidential Address, AAAS, August 30, 1877