Re: New Velociraptorine

Sam Girouard wrote:

>        Incedentally- the photos of the "fighting speciment" from Mongolia
>that I have seen show the feet of the Velociraptor a fair distance from the
>Protoceratops, but I would'nt trust this alone. Does the Protoceratops have
>any claw-slashed ribs? Just wondering.

Having seen slides of the fully prepared specimen, this shows some really
interesting aspects of interspecific combat.  In particular, one of the
hindfeet (the left, if I remember correctly) is placed with the sickle-claw
in the neck of the Protoceratops, not the belly as previously thought!  Dave
Unwin spent a lot of time looking at this specimen, and could give you all
the appropriate details/facts.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661

        --O.C. Marsh, Vice Presidential Address, AAAS, August 30, 1877