Re: New Velociraptorine

At 04:54 PM 12/12/96 -0500, Mickey Rowe wrote:

>  an opposing muscle could).  What you're suggesting above is that the
>  animal's default position was "claw extended", or instead that the
>  animal constantly expended energy against the ligament in order to
>  keep the claw retracted.  I don't know about everyone else, but that

   True enough, but I wasn't addressing that fact.  The original question
was how to keep the extensor muscle in good enough shape to be strong enough
to hold the claw in slashing position.  I'm suggesting an explanation for
that fact only:  a ligament just strong enough to compensate for the
suggested weakness of the muscles, that the ligament alone (really tough) or
the muscles and ligament together obviated the NEED for a
Schwarzeneggeresque extensor muscle.  Perhaps it's not a GOOD explanation,
but that was my thought process.