Re: Ceratopian jaws (my last bow)

Stan Friesen wrote (quoting Van and Kathy Smith):

>  > On a completely different tact, is it possible that neck muscles attached
>  > to these frill sites?  For animals with such huge heads that were so
>  > obviously useful for combat,
>
> Actually, the "combat" may have been very ritualized in most species,
> taking the form more of a shoving and wrestling match.  In fact the
> the only ceratopsian really likely to have engaged in aggressive
> combat is _Triceratops_, and it has the *closed* frill. (And even
> for _T._ the argument for aggressive combat is uncertain).

I don't believe that's what was meant by their question.  I think they were
asking if the neck muscles holding up the head were attached to the rear of
the frill a la John McLaughlin in "Archosauria."  This is highly doubtful
because articulated remains of many ceratopians show that the rear of the
frill was not close to the back of the animal and thus would of had some very
strange muscle arrangelments going straight up in the air towards the frill.

As for Triceratops being the only ceratopian really likely to have engaged in
aggresive combat.  Do you have any evidence that Triceratops was somehow
better suited to aggresive combat than other Chasmosaurs?  There's not really
much that's anatomically different in Triceratops and Arrhinoceratops.  Why
would Triceratops be involved in combat and Arrhinoceratops not?

Peter Buchholz
gpb6845@msu.oscs.montana.edu

". . . I'd like to think it was something so beautiful it couldn't be
expressed with words; and it made your heart ache to think about it."