Re: FOSSIL OWNERSHIP

At 04:32 PM 12/16/96 -0500, Paul Willis wrote:

>There is a very good reason for this. Private collections are inherently
>unstable; they tend to get broken up and specimens change hands frequently.
>There is no point is designating a holotype if you don't know where it will
>be next year, in 5 years time or 50 years time. This is why public
>collections are favoured.

   I would think, given the unstable nature of private collections (any data
available to back up this point?) scientists would want to make doggone sure
it did get looked at before it disappeared.  Maybe even go that extra yard
to keep track of it and/or make sure it is properly prepared and cared for.