Re: Fossil Ownership

steve.cole@genie.com wrote:

(Much snipped)

> Lawrence Dunn: Your theory is interesting, but it will increase the cost
> of a common collector-grade fossil by a factor of five or ten.

Wow!  Too much.  I think something could be worked out, though, don't you?

> You expect us to pay not only the cost of the cleaning (and how is that cost
> to be defined?) but make a generous donation to pay the overhead of the
> museum.

I didn't realize that I expected that.  I must have miscommunicated.

> Gee thanks. I think I'd rather continue getting my
> fossils

Just out of curiosity: why do you acquire fossils?

> If we can ensure that the preparation cost is not going to exceed the prep
> costs we buyers pay commercial dealers now, I'm game. I'd even pay a few
> dollars more for an identification card, a plastic box, and a copy of a
> related scientific paper about the beast in question, since those are things
> the commercial dealer doesn't provide now.

That should certainly be possible.  Set a maximum as the going rate for
commercial preparators in the same market for similar specimens.  Even if the
institution's costs exceed the commercial preparator's, paying them the going
rate would at least defray their costs.  And they get to examine it too.  Of
course, if they don't even want to bother (another hadrosaur rib), off it goes
to Slash's rec room, or whatever.

> Fair Enough?

You bet!

Best regards,