Holotype rules

At 04:32 PM 12/16/96 -0500, pwillis@ozemail.com.au wrote:

[snip]
>Actually, it is the rules. The ICZN states that holotype specimens must be
>in secure collections that are open to inspection. Private collections do
>not fall into this catagorie.
>
>There is a very good reason for this. Private collections are inherently
>unstable; they tend to get broken up and specimens change hands frequently.
>There is no point is designating a holotype if you don't know where it will
>be next year, in 5 years time or 50 years time. This is why public
>collections are favoured.

Thank you Paul for making this point.  I *fully agree* with the ICZN rules
re: holotypes and repositories.  This is a most crucial point to be
considered in any discussion of the disposition of fossils.  It simply
bolsters my proposal that commercial interests be provided exclusive
reproduction rights for specimens that they prepare and donate to an
approved repository.  From my meager experience good casts (resin or other)
are more durable and often more attractive than the real thing.

Michael