Re: _T. rex_ strikes ( was Ceratopsian frills)

Betty wrote:

> wasn't size that protected buffalo-was shear numbers.
> prairie wolves caught and killed solitaire buffalo-just as modern wolves
> can kill the even-larger-than-a-buffalo moose.

Could buffalo herds have held off lions?  If wolves were as large as
lions, wouldn't they have been better able to create and exploit
opportunities to bring down big game?  I think the physics of a wolf's
attack make a larger size undesirable.

> >A lion can chase away smaller predators by swatting, lunging from a
> >crouch, and turning fast.  Was _T rex_ built for any of these things?
>
> Lion isn't built for it either.  Lions protect their kills from other
> scavengers by out-numbering their major compettitors.

It never occurred to me that _T rex_ scavenged in packs.  Still, I would
have expected scavengers to look more agile and have more menacing arms.

> T rex is not built like a tiger or a wolf.  We're talking biped not
> quadraped. Why should it use a method developed by 4-legged animal s and
> not use a method developed for a biped with big teeth (which may not HAVE
> a modern equivalent to compare to)?

We agree!  :)

> According to Farlow, et all, T rex would kill itself doing so as an adult
> with full mass and acceleration behind it.  How do you see T rex managing
> this succesfully?

I heard through the grapevine that Farlow gave a red light to 20 meters
per second and a green light to 10.  That's why I guessed 10.  If you
perfer a slower speed, that's okay.

Ideally, _T rex_ would use its incredible legs to impart all this
horizontal energy to its target.  Then it would be left with a simple
fall on its side from a lower height than if it had tripped.

During a recent thread, someone suggested that _T rex_ could move its
leg to break a fall on its side.  I like that idea.  That seems to be
what a rooster does when it falls on its side from a position where
flapping would be useless.  It lands on its side but without a thud like
a dead chicken.  Then it flicks its free leg and head to roll upright.

I'm sure _T rex_ would sometimes hit the ground with significant
horizontal speed, as Farlow apparently analyzed.  I think _T rex's_ tiny
arms were an adaption for that.  I think they could easily be tucked in
to prevent the kind of neck-breaking somersaults that happen to horses
in cowboy movies.

Thanks for your remarks.

- Stephen Throop