Re: Compsognathus

At 08:26 PM 12/19/96 -0500, Jeff Poling wrote:

>   A question for the list:
>
>   _The Dinosauria_ reports that the _Compsognathus_ specimens had two full
>digits, and a third partial digit.  Is it possible that the complete third
>digit was lost, possibly because it had Maniraptoran proportions (ie long
>and slender), and that _Compsognathus_ was actually a tridactyl
>Maniraptoran?  I do seem to recall Dinogeorge mentioning many affinities
>between _T. rex_, a Maniraptoriforme_ and _Compsognathus_.....

The condition of the manus in Compsognathus is still in dispute.  Ostrom has
argued strongly for the condition as shown in _The Dinosauria_.  Others who
have seen the specimen believe it to be tetradactyl (which is why it shows
up outside of Carnosauria + Coelurosauria in some cladograms, e.g. those in
Lucas' _Dinosaurs: The Textbook_).  Rumor has it (RUMOR ALERT; RUMOR ALERT)
that a private collector in central Europe has a specimen which shows a
tridactyl condition.

The problem stems from the fact that neither of the Compy specimens has an
undisturbed manus.  Both the Solnhofen and the Canjures specimen have hands
which are disrupted and disarticulated.  Unless and until a specimen is
discovered in which the hands are preserved articulated, the question may
remain unresolved.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661

        --O.C. Marsh, Vice Presidential Address, AAAS, August 30, 1877