RE: _T. rex_ strikes ( was Ceratopsian frills)

Stephen Throop asked:

>Could buffalo herds have held off lions?

Since buffalo and buffalo-hunting-wolves have survived where the
prehistoric-buffalo-hunting-lion has not, it should speak which was more
succesful.

>If wolves were as large as lions, wouldn't they have been better
>able to create and exploit opportunities to bring down big game?  I
>think the physics of a wolf's attack make a larger size undesirable.

 Dogs have evolved into a similar niche as cats, true..... but the big
cats have enough diversity that you could still pick and choose from a
variety of hunting methods from animals close in size to that of a wolf,
and then both smaller and larger than wolves.   The mountain lion and the
wolf bring down fairly similar sized animals for the most part.
 The physics of the mountain lion's attack and the physics of the African
lion's attack is very similar, but the African lion hunts in packs to
bring down larger game.  .  The mountain lion kills deer most commonly
(an animal similar to it's own mass); the African lion kills animals
equal to it's own mass or larger and feeds more than one animal with it.
  The Siberian tiger is the largest living cat, generally hunts solitary
and brings down game as large or larger than itself, and usually only
feeds itself with it's kill (excluding juveniles with their mothers)
 Since T rex is the largest animal in it's genus, wouldn't you tend more
to the method of the largest cat, rather than the middle-of-the-road lion
or the smaller-mass wolf??

>It never occurred to me that _T rex_ scavenged in packs.  Still, I would
>have expected scavengers to look more agile and have more menacing arms.

 pigs are meat-eating scavengers that travel in packs and have no arms.
 They are quite agile without them.  It takes all kinds.

>I heard through the grapevine that Farlow gave a red light to 20 meters
>per second and a green light to 10.  That's why I guessed 10.  If you
>perfer a slower speed, that's okay.

 I have also argued that T rex should be capable of surviving falls, and
in this I agree with you. To jump on something else means that T rex has
to lift it's own weight off the ground rapidly and with only muscle to
add acceleration.  It seems rather a lot for two legs to handle to do
this on quite probably-thrashing prey animals.

 -Betty Cunningham