Della's 9th Grade Science Project

I highly recommend the following books for references and information
for your project: (1) Bird Song: Biological Themes and Variations by
C.K. Catchpole and P.J.B. Slater from Cambridge University Press
(1995). It contains and overview that should help you with many
aspects of your project including basic theory, basic techniques,
sound production and hearing. It also includes a reference to J.C.
Saunders and W.J. Henry (1989) The Peripheral Auditory System in
Birds: Structural and Functional Contributions in Auditory Perception
from the Comparative Psychology of Audition : Perceiving Complex
Sounds, (ed) R.J. Dooling and S.H. Hulse, pp 35-64. New Jersey:
Erlbaum.
                            and
(2) The Skull vol. 3: Structural Basis of Hearing and Sound
Transmission by R. Eric Lombard and Thomas E. Hetheringon  (ed) James
Hanken and Brian K. Hall.

 These are, especially The Skull, some very difficult readings. I wish
you good luck on your project.