Re: _T. rex_ strikes ( was Ceratopsian frills)

Betty Cunningham wrote:

>   The Siberian tiger is the largest living cat, generally hunts solitary
> and brings down game as large or larger than itself, and usually only
> feeds itself with it's kill (excluding juveniles with their mothers)
>  Since T rex is the largest animal in it's genus, wouldn't you tend more
> to the method of the largest cat, rather than the middle-of-the-road lion
> or the smaller-mass wolf??

We agree!  Forget the packs, forget the scavenging.  I'm just wondering
about the form of attack used by an animal which, as you pointed out,
was physically unlike any modern example.

>  I have also argued that T rex should be capable of surviving falls, and
> in this I agree with you. To jump on something else means that T rex has
> to lift it's own weight off the ground rapidly and with only muscle to
> add acceleration.  It seems rather a lot for two legs to handle to do
> this on quite probably-thrashing prey animals.

I agree.  I think biting would keep _T rex_ up and exposed to dangerous
thrashing.
One-legged kicking, which I have seen illustrated, also seems exposed as
well as clumsy.  Instead of jumping up, I envision coming in low to deal
a quick, disabling blow.

There was once an irresponsible student who lived in an old-fashioned
dorm with long, wide, high, echoing corrodors.  He and other
irresponsible students studied in tennis shoes to be ready for impromptu
chases.

The nameless student used to sprint down the corridor too fast for the
adhesion of his sneakers to get him around the wide left turn at the
end.  He'd run a couple of feet up the wall as his legs pushed him
through the turn.

At one point, he would be nearly horizontal, his feet two feet up the
wall and his head four feet from the floor.  His face and toes would
point left.

If the student had a long, stiff tail, he would have to be bent at the
hip.  His spine and tail would be somewhat parallel to the floor and the
wall.

That's how I imagine _T rex_ would be aligned plunge at hazardous prey.
Of course, he would be trying to "bust the wall" instead of rounding a
corner.  The animal's skeleton looks "stiff" enough amidships to deliver
a very sharp impact through its legs.

Thanks for your remarks.

- Stephen Throop