DinSoc Dinosaur Encyclopedia

I must take exception to Stan Friesen's dismissal of the Dinosaur
Society's Dinosaur Encyclopedia as a "teen or pre-teen book".
It's certainly intelligible to teenagers, and pre-teens might
get some of the info while looking at the pictures, but it's
value is mostly to the "avocationist" and "dinofan" (including
adults; I'm 45), who want "a good first place to look" for any
dinosaur name they hear.

Indeed, we at DINOSAUR DISCOVERIES regard the DSDE as "the baseline".
If it's in DSDE, we don't need to worry about printing articles
about it in Dinosaur Discoveries. I suspect that the new $150
encyclopedia will become the baseline by the end of 1997 as
the science is moving so fast.

If the DS decides to do a new edition of the DSDE someday, I
hope they'll consider a few improvements that would not make
it larger or harder to read:

1. Break down the "lineage" parts a bit more. Order, sub-order,
and family isn't enough subdivisions. At least two more are needed.

2. List all of the species under each genus.

3. Include another sentence in most entries on how much material
is available. Something vague like "known from a few scattered
bones" or "known from three partial skeletons, only one with a skull"
or something of that sort. Some of the entries have this info,
but about half do not.

4. Include Archaeopteryx.

5. Would it really kill them to take 4 pages and just list
names and give one-sentence descriptions of all of the Pterosaurs?

6. Include Archaeopteryx.

7. Would it really kill them to take 4 pages and just list
names and give one sentence descriptions of all the marine reptiles?

8. Include Archaeopteryx.

9. Would it really kill them to take 4 pages and just list names
and give one sentence descriptions of the Mesozoic Birds?

10. Would it really kill them to take 4 pages and just list names
and give one sentence descriptions of the Mesozoic Crocs?

11. Include Archaeopteryx and Confusciusornis.

12. Make it loose leaf and publish update packages.

Thanks for listening. I hope DS does.--Steve C