rex on one leg ( was _T. rex_ strikes)

On Sun, 22 Dec 1996, Stephen Throop wrote:

> Betty Cunningham wrote:
> [...]
> >  I have also argued that T rex should be capable of surviving falls, and
> > in this I agree with you. To jump on something else means that T rex has
> > to lift it's own weight off the ground rapidly and with only muscle to
> > add acceleration.  It seems rather a lot for two legs to handle to do
> > this on quite probably-thrashing prey animals.
>
> I agree.  I think biting would keep _T rex_ up and exposed to dangerous
> thrashing.
> One-legged kicking, which I have seen illustrated, also seems exposed as
> well as clumsy.  Instead of jumping up, I envision coming in low to deal
> a quick, disabling blow.

One legged kicking, or rather one legged stances and tactics, is something
that was recently suggested to me by my recent watching of the sf movie
"Forbidden Planet" (the most excellent letterbox version). For those who
have seen the movie, I'm referring to the scene where Morbius' id monster
attacks the ship. It has no arms, and defended itself by rearing back
on one leg and striking out with the other.

I substituted the image of a rex (or similar critter) and a while new
behavior presented itself. The rex could use a leg as a slashing weapon.
Not so much a kick, but for slashing. On smaller prey the legs could be
also be used in a warding fashion or for holding something down.

Let me say that with some 20 years in martial arts, there's a lot a human
can do on one leg. Kick, stop a charge, manipulate your opponent's balance,
jam, etc. I've often wished for claws on my feet. I don't think a kicking
rex should be so quickly written off.

Whether such things can be transferred to a rex is another question. I've
no idea if the skeletal structure hints at such physical manuveurs are
possible.

+----------+    Rich Travsky   RTRAVSKY @ UWYO . EDU
+----------+    http://plains.uwyo.edu/~rtravsky/