Dinosaur Genera List corrections #65

This is the first DGL correction to be sent from sunny San Diego. All it took
was a grueling 12-day cross-country trip in an unheated 1968 VW van packed
from floor to windows with computer components and sundries. Left Buffalo the
morning of December 17 and arrived in San Diego the evening of December 28.
Lousy weather and poor vehicle performance kept us from doing better than
about 100 miles per day until we reached Memphis, after which it became
pretty smooth sailing (350-450 miles per day) because we rented a Ryder truck
and towed the van the rest of the way. Trip anecdotes, such as nearly getting
passed a counterfeit $100 bill in Kentucky and making a pit stop at
Bucksnort, Tennessee, abound. The computer survived 5-degree-F overnight
temperatures and is again working for us as if nothing happened.

Book orders and other communications to my Buffalo post office box are being
forwarded by the postal service. When I obtain a new PO box here in San Diego
(sometime after January 10), I'll make that my official business address. The
Buffalo box will, however, be in service for at least another year.

Now for the corrections:

(1) Two old dinosaur _nomina nuda_ have recently become legitimate taxa:
_Ligabueino_ and _Rayososaurus_ should now both be attributed to Bonaparte,
1996. The citation is:

Bonaparte, J. F., 1996. "Cretaceous Tetrapods of Argentina," Muenchner
Geowissenschaftliche Abhandlungen 30A: 73-130 [April 1996].

This is a must-have item for all paleoherpetologists, as it includes all
non-dinosaurian taxa as well as descriptions of the two former _nomina nuda_,
numerous titanosaurids, ornithischians, etc. A number of misspelled names may
catch some readers off guard. The paper also features several life
restorations (black and white sketches) by Brian Franczak. Thanks to Tracy
Ford for supplying a photocopy of the actual paper.

(2) Ralph Molnar sent news of two new Chinese dinosaurs. The small theropod
with possible uncinate processes on the ribs is called _Shanyangosaurus
niupanggouensis_, and the sauropod is _Qinlingosaurus luonanensis_. Both are
_incertae sedis_ taxa, not classified below subordinal level (Theropoda and
Sauropoda), which does not necessarily mean they're based on junk. The latter
becomes only the second dinosaur name to begin with the letter Q. They are
both from the Late Cretaceous of Shaanxi, described in a 1996 paper by Xue,
Zhang & Bi. I do not yet have the citation and have not yet seen the paper,
but it might be in the latest _Vertebrata PalAsiatica_ (that's where I'd
start looking). Accordingly, add the following genera (#800 and 801):

Qinlingosaurus Xue, Zhang & Bi, 1996
Shanyangosaurus Xue, Zhang & Bi, 1996

Too bad they didn't come in before December 8 (the e-mail from Ralph is dated
December 23, when we were in Memphis renting the Ryder truck); then someone
would have had to buy Bob Tuck a pizza. He was only 15 days off in predicting
genus #800.