Re: My Gr. 9 Science Fair Project: Questions

Paul Willis wrote:

> Stephen Throop wrote:
>
> >Suppose a giant croc was in ambush at the water's edge when he heard a
> >three-ton duckbill running toward him.  Wouldn't discretion be the
> >better part of valor?  After all, a croc killed by accident would still
> >be dead.
>
> A 12 metre croc weighting in excess of 6 tonnes would just love a three
> tonne duckbill for dinner.

That brings up a question: how much did an edmontosaur weigh?  L B
Halstead's reference book showed it at nine meters and implied a weight
of three tons.  Lately I've been hearing it was 13 meters long.  I don't
know how the length of a fossil could change that much.  If it was so
much bigger than Halstead said, did it weigh nine tons instead of three?

I wasn't wondering if a croc would eat an edmontosaur.  I was wondering
if a croc would hold his ground when he heard an animal of unknown size
thundering toward him.  I think even grizzly bears often retreat in the
face of threatening noise.  I think the footsteps of a large running
biped could hit a croc hard enough to kill it.

> >If duckbills were as smart as crows, I think they'd be familiar with the
> >haunts and habits of local crocs, be vigilant, and pass warnings.
>
> Codswallop. If humans (some being smarter than crows) can be taken by
> crocs, why not hadrosaurs?  Zebra, wildebeast and buffalo live with the
> nile crocodile and regularly form part of its diet.

I speculate that duckbills were different from zebra, wildebeast, and
buffalo.  I've read that, in their time, duckbills accounted for 75% of
dinosaur herbivores.  They must have been doing something right.

Don't humans regularly go into the waters of the Nile, the Everglades,
and the Louisiana Bayous with very little chance of being eaten?  Aren't
there animals that frequent crocodile waters but have little chance of
being eaten?  How about panthers and manatees?  Are these waters
inhabited only be crocs?

> >Don't crows drive hawks and owls from an area by harassment?  Couldn't
> >duckbills  also have used commotion and tooting to encourage big crocs
> >to relocate?
>
> Again, this doesn't seem to be the case with many modern prey items of
> modern crocodiles.

It doesn't seem to be the case with many modern prey items of owls and
hawks, either.  It's probably why crows aren't favorite prey items.

Thanks for your remarks.

- Stephen Throop