Re: Monoclonius

In a message dated 96-01-31 23:48:21 EST, Stang1996@aol.com writes:

>Or, to us generic lumpers (I lump genera, but split species and families) it
>could mean that the entire subfamily Centrosaurinae or Eucentrosaurinae or
>Pachyrhinosaurinae (or whatever you wish to call it) could be sunk into the
>genus _Monoclonius_, though the type species would probably be _appertus_
>(from _(Eu)Centrosaurus_).

No, you can't change the type species of a genus. The type species is
_Monoclonius crassus_.

There however would be subgenera; none of them
>being _Monoclonius_ though (don't you love this?).

ICZN rules specify that one subgenus _must_ be _Monoclonius_, namely, the
subgenus that contains at least the type species. If you can't name one of
the subgenera _Monoclonius_, then the genus is indeterminate.

>Actually _Brachyceratops_
>and _Avaceratops_ wouldn't be subgenera either.  But then the subfamilial
>name would have to be changed to Monocloninae (don't you love this?).  This
>is _Hadrosaurus_ all over again!

Heh, heh.