Re: Monoclonius

On Wed, 31 Jan 1996 Stang1996@aol.com wrote:

> Or, to us generic lumpers (I lump genera, but split species and families) it
> could mean that the entire subfamily Centrosaurinae or Eucentrosaurinae or
> Pachyrhinosaurinae (or whatever you wish to call it) could be sunk into the
> genus _Monoclonius_,

I hate to give the genus-lumpers any ammunition, but it would seem not
all that unreasonable to put _Styracosaurus_ and _Centrosaurus_ in one
genus (_Centrosaurus_, if that stands as the name of this animal;
_Styracosaurus_, I suppose, if not) and _Einiosaurus_, _Achelousaurus_,
and _Pachyrhinosaurus_ in another (_Pachyrhinosaurus_).  I advocate
non-use of _Monoclonius_, though.

_Brachyceratops_ and _Avaceratops_
sound to me like they're probably valid genera, and I don't think either
could be placed in _Centrosaurus_ or _Pachyrhinosaurus_ without rendering
that genus paraphyletic, the sin of all sins. ;-)

> Peter Buchholz
> Stang1996@aol.com

Nick Pharris
Pacific Lutheran University