MAMMALOGICAL NATURE

Latest ish of Nature has yet more stuff of interest to palaeontologists
regarding those fantastic furballs. With relevance to discussion of flying
squirrels of late, there's a paper on an Oligocene eomyid rodent from Quercy -
 it's preserved with a integumentary impression and this shows that it looked
like a flying squirrel. So, gliding rodents appeared early on in their history.

There's also discussion of multituberculate phylogeny (Sereno and McKenna I
think), following on from the paper about the MTB scapula some weeks back, and
(with relevance to felid phylogeny..) some molecular data is presented that
endorses the idea that the Spanish lynx (_Lynx pardinensis_) deserves specific
status.

FISHING IN ARCHAEOPTERYX

Water ouzel, black thrushes (both _Turdus_) and Eurasian robins (_Erithacula_)
are among the living birds totally unadapted for piscivory that can turn their
beaks to it, if you will, when they so desire. _Archaeopteryx_ could well have
been as opportunistic as these animals. I don't go for a cormorant-life
lifestyle though.. neither, I think, did _Archaeopteryx_.

"Ps and Qs won't might you loose those things you want to get"

DARREN NAISH