Re: Stego/Ankylo limbs

At 02:36 PM 2/1/96 -0500, Rob Meyerson wrote:
>>Additionally, a sprawling posture together with such a huge load would place
>>enormous stress on the elbow, shoulder and wrists, as well as being far less
>>energy efficient than an erect stance -- if you don't believe me drop down
>>and do push-ups.  A herd of Triceratops with sprawling forelimbs would be a
>>miserable, arthritic bunch barely mobile.
>
>Oh, ye of little faith.  The reinforcement of the shoulder articulation I
mentioned previously takes care of the additional stresses put on by having
sprawling forelimbs.

        What about the elbows and wrists -- do they too show reinforcements?
The stress on the elbows would be at least as great as the stress on the
shoulders in a sprawling posture.  Reinforcements in the shoulder alone
sound like a direct argument against sprawling.  Are these reinforcements
inconsistent with a straight-legged stance in an animal built for charging
and high maneuverability?

V.S.
Van Smith
vksmith@ix.netcom.com