Re: Quo vadis, T. rex?

In a message dated 96-02-02 01:42:45 EST, pharrinj@PLU.edu (Nicholas J.
Pharris) writes:

>Actually, digits one and five are theoretically the easiest to lose.
>Embyological studies have shown that the first digit to form is number
>four, which arises from a linear segmentation of the ulna, followed by
>three, two, and one, in that order.  Digit five is formed by a separate
>branching sequence off number four.  See Stephen Jay Gould's essay
>"Eight Little Piggies," in the book of the same name, for a more complete
>explanation and illustrations.

Right. It would help if I had the time to actually _read_ all the books I
accumulate. I have _Eight Little Piggies_ but haven't read any of it yet. Too
much work on _Mesozoic Meanderings_ #2 these days.

_Of course_ the outermost digits are the first to be lost: imagine losing,
say, digit III before digit V. It would certainly make for an odd-looking
extremity.