Re: Triceratops sprawl

>On Thu, 1 Feb 1996, Jeffrey Martz wrote:
>

>>  Ceratopians purposely evolved
>> sprawling forelimbs to better cope with the paleenvironment of the Gobi.
>>
>> LN Jeff

Hey, that's my quote:-)

>I don't >think< evolution is a process with a purpose.
>'Course, all those Teilhard teleologists might have been correct, and I
>wrong.

It may not have a purpose, but once an evolutionary trend is started, things
tend to progress along that line till the evolutionary momentum is stilled.
For other examples, see the evolution of legs from fins and whale evolution in
general.

Rob

***
Q.  What fossil fish is a blood relative?

A.  The antiarch.