Forwarded message:
From:   Dinogeorge@aol.com
Sender: dinosaur@lepomis.psych.upenn.edu
To:     dinosaur@lepomis.psych.upenn.edu (Multiple recipients of list)
Date: 96-01-31 23:12:15 EST

In a message dated 96-01-31 21:47:17 EST, ornstn@inforamp.net (Ronald
Orenstein) writes:

>Can I assume you are kidding here?  Anyway, I thought that it was now known
>that the bones were, in fact, hollow in Archaeopteryx (and if Archie was a
>specialized diver I will personally eat the entire Berlin specimen, bedrock
>and all).

No more specialized than a cormorant or an anhinga. But certainly not as
specialized as a loon, penguin, or _Hesperornis_, of course.

Hey, there were lagoons a plenty in Bavaria of 145 Ma. Maybe some of those
_Archaeopteryx_ skeletons got there by drowning during dives. Wouldn't it be
neat to find fish scales in the stomach of one of those specimens? Of course,
this still wouldn't prove they dived after the fish, only that they ate (or
scavenged) them.

Larry Martin told me personally in 1990 that the long bones of
_Archaeopteryx_ were neither pneumatic nor hollow, and I've seen this oft
repeated in the literature. I welcome any more recent information that
contradicts this.