Re: Lizard like bird-hips

In a message dated 96-02-04 01:56:40 EST, pharrinj@PLU.edu (Nicholas J.
Pharris) writes:

>I used to subscribe to the Paulian interpretation of segnosaurs, too; but
>a close look at the description of _Alxasaurus_ and at the skull of
>_Erlikosaurus_, I am convinced that they are derived coelurosaurian
>theropods, probably most closely related to ornitholestids or
>oviraptorosaurs.

The feet tell me different. Since skulls are extremely labile within
Archosauria, and since I've already picked plenty of holes in the analysis by
Clark et al. of the skull of _Erlikosaurus_ and the description of
_Alxasaurus_ by Russell & Dong, I'm really convinced of the opposite.
Segnosaurs have little to do with any theropod groups.