Re: Taxonomic levels in birds

On Sun, 4 Feb 1996 Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 96-02-04 17:24:49 EST, pharrinj@PLU.edu (Nicholas J.
> Pharris) writes:
>
> >No; I was listing them in increasing order.  I listed them that way so
> >people could follow my thinking more easily.
> >

> You include Aves within Avialae? What else is in Avialae along with Aves?

Yes, unlike you, George, I restrict Aves to the Arctometatarsalia and the
Euaves, the latter including the Alvarezsauridae, the Enantiornithes, and
the Ornithurae.

Along with the Aves, Avialae contains the Archaeopterygiformes, which
includes the Archaeopterygidae and the Dromaeosauridae.

The Avialae and the Oviraptorosauria (Elmisauridae, Oviraptoridae, and,
*tentatively*, the Therizinosauroidea) are included in the Ornithomorpha.

The Ornithomorpha and Ornitholestidae form the Maniraptora (although I
should probably rename this taxon--perhaps Avecheires?)

Finally, the "Maniraptora" and, probably, the Dryptosauridae form the
Coelurosauria.

This is just my slant on things.

Nick Pharris
Pacific Lutheran University