Re: labels are imaginary

On Sun, 4 Feb 1996 Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 96-02-04 17:33:38 EST, pharrinj@PLU.edu (Nicholas J.
> Pharris) writes:
>
> >If you can prove to me that ALL non-avian dinosaurs are functionally and
> >anatomically more similar to each other then any of them is to a bird,
> >I'll go along with you.
>
> Umm--this is rather obvious, isn't it? For starters, non-avian dinosaurs
> lacked wings and had long tails comprising dozens of caudal vertebrae. The
> list goes on...

Umm--does this amount to a recanting of BCF?

Many avian dinosaurs of comparable size to the non-avians also lack
wings, you know.

Yes, flight may amount to a functional difference between many avian
dinosaurs and non-avians, but anatomically, the structure of
_Deinonychus_'s hand, for instance, is far more similar to that of a
bird's wing than to the forefoot of _Apatosaurus_.

What's wrong with seeing birds as just another twig on the bush, as just
another example of the broad variety of dinosaurian form and function?

Nick Pharris
Pacific Lutheran University
Tacoma, WA 98447
(206)535-8204