Re: SAUROPOD GASBAGS

Steve:

Thank you for the technical details on the H2-filled sauropods,
particularly the theories of the honorable Dr. Phlogiston.  I will never
doubt you again.

I bet those "gastroliths" found in _Seismosaurus_ and some other
sauropods were, in fact, ballast.  Worth checking out!

My particular theory about the extinction of the large North American
sauropods has to do with the advent of the ceratopian dinosaurs with
their enlarged nasal horns.  These cantankerous little dinos would steal all
the sauropods' favorite resting spots, jabbing at them aggressively when
they tried to land.

Large numbers of punctured sauropods whizzed
helplessly around the globe like so many multiton balloons, eventually
crash-landing in Argentina.  There they were sewn up and nursed back to
health by the _Archaeopteryx_-like aliens mentioned on this list a while
back.  They were also fitted with tough, ceratop-proof armor, thus
becoming the titanosaurs.  These were eventually able to recolonize
North America in the form of such animals as _Alamosaurus_.

Nick Pharris
Pacific Lutheran University
Tacoma, WA 98447
(206)535-8204