Real Basic Question

        I was reminded that the only stupid question is the one not asked so
here goes...
        Given that we can't know all animals that ever existed in the past
since
the beginning of life or all that currently exist in order to find the perfect
classification schemes...
        Is it fair to stick dinos within Reptilia just because the first
discoverers thought they "looked" most like large lizards (insert
greenish-gray,
scaly, sprawled and slow connotations here)? They did their best with the
paradigms of the times but we know better now. Don't dinosaurs stretch the
bounds of Class Reptilia? Isn't classification used to group LIKE things
together? Sounds like birds are more of a model but NOTE THAT I DON'T PROPOSE
dinos are birds proper.
        My bottom line is- Where are the lines drawn between
reptiles-dinosaurs-birds? I would not like to perpetrate inaccuracies to the
general public i.e. my nieces, nephews, future children and interested
non-geologic collegues.

Note: Palaeoworld (Dinosaur Graveyard II) is on TLC, not the Discovery Channel,
Sat. at 8 & 11 PM EST(usual times).