Re: Stego/Ankylo limbs (long)

>But if you produce a lot of thrust with the hindlimb and the forelimb
>can't keep up, the animal is going to fall on its face!

Personally, I see no reason why a sprawling forelimb shouldn't be able to keep
up.  There may be a slight reduction in the total speed of the animal, but
weighed against the increased stability, this seems like a decent trade-off.

>Then the "reinforcement procees" must actually be something else!  Sorry,
>but given the trackway data, there is simply no way ceratopians could be
>holding their humeri horizontally.

Again, there are sprawling-model mounts where the trackway of the specimen
would match a real track.  The above is not necessarily true.

>Fascinating.  How do you get gravity to act obliquely like that?
>
>Check your diagrams again.  Weight is weight.  It always acts downwards.

Hey, you can't blame a guy for trying.

>What you have done is *increased* the total force on the legs
>and also introduced a horizontal component to the force, which, incidentally,
>will serve to shove the legs out from under the body, causing them to slip
>sideways, particularly on a slippery surface like sand!
>
>This is why we build columns vertically, not slanted.

The limbs would be sufficently strong enough to withstand the added stresses.
Also, the elbow appears strong enough to be able to keep the added horizontal
stresses to a minimum, resulting in a minimal loss of stability.

Rob
***
"Don't Panic."