Re: The death throes of drowning

>   Does anybody know if there's any research that shows that animals that
>drown end up in the contorted death pose (ie neck and tail bent over the
>back) that some dinosaurs are found in?

It isn't necessarily drowning victims: it's any dinosaur (or other long
necked critter) which is exposed to *drying* subsequent to death.  When the
nuchal ligaments (which run down the spine) dry up, the shrink, pulling the
head and tail up over the back.  Dino rigor mortis.

>   Anybody know what percentage of dinosaurs are found in such a pose?

13.786%  Okay, I made that up.  I have no figures for this.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Vertebrate Paleontologist
Dept. of Geology
University of Maryland