Re: Re: Archie bones

>In a message dated 96-02-02 17:50:06 EST, martz@holly.ColoState.EDU (Jeffrey
>Martz) writes:
>
>>     I believe Tom Holtze pointed out last time this came up that no one
>>has cracked open a specimen (gasp) to look, but that there is absolutey no
>>reason to beleive that they are not hollow.
>
>In Gavin de Beer's 1954 monograph on _Archaeopteryx_, he lists one of the
>"reptilian" characters of _Archaeopteryx_ as _solid_ bones. If anyone should
>know, it's Sir Gavin.

Last I've heard, John Ostrom disagreed with Sir Gavin on this part, and had
more specimens to look at. I'm not certain of how de Beer ascertained the
solidity of the bones, but I suspect he may have assumed such since
Archie was so 'reptilian'.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Vertebrate Paleontologist
Dept. of Geology