Re: Archie bones

In a message dated 96-02-05 13:44:23 EST, Thomas_R_HOLTZ@umail.umd.edu (th81)
writes:

>Last I've heard, John Ostrom disagreed with Sir Gavin on this part, and had
>more specimens to look at. I'm not certain of how de Beer ascertained the
>solidity of the bones, but I suspect he may have assumed such since
>Archie was so 'reptilian'.

Maybe we should make the distinction between marrow space and air space
within the bones. Certainly _Archaeopteryx_ (and all reptiles) had marrow
space in the bones, which being a soft body part would not usually be
preserved, leaving apparently hollow volumes within the bones. Can these be
distinguished from true air spaces? And can this be done in the available
specimens?