Re: Re: Quo vadis, T. rex

On Mon, 5 Feb 1996, th81 wrote:

> >>In fact, tyrannos show innovations in foot structure and neural pathways
> >
> >>strongly indicating that they are closer to birds than dromaeosaurs are,
> >
> >>and maybe even closer than _Archaeopteryx_!
> >
> >You mean Bakker was right???
>
> I remain unconvinced of such a position.  I am among the last of the people
> on this net, it seems, who believes that dromaeosaurids are the sister group
> to the Archie + later bird clade...

Not at all!  Well, not quite.  I remain quite firmly convinced that
dromaeosaurs and archaeopts are sister groups, and that this group, the
Archaeopterygiformes, is the sister group to the birds, including arctomets.

> There are questions as to the ornithomimosaur nature of the really scrappy
> Harpymimus type.  I still think it is an ornithomimosaur, myself.

I took another look at the drawings in the _Dinosauria_ (but who knows
how much those really have to say, given the poor nature of the
material), and this animal looks like it might possibly be a sister taxon to
all other ornithomimosaurs, including _Pelecanimimus_.  Or it might be
some other kind of arctomet, convergent on ornithomimosaurs.  Hard to say
right now.

> Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
> Vertebrate Paleontologist

Nick Pharris